Re: Junkyard Weber Options?

To: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Subject: Re: Junkyard Weber Options?
From: Owen Michaels-Hardy <omhardy@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:40:42 +1000 (EST)
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
I don't think I have ever seen a 'couple of old Webers' in a junk yard and
if you did find them I'd say they were there for a good reason (ie they were
well and truly junk).

As mentioned in the previous post, to get the extra HP from Webers you need
plenty of time and money to spend on dyno tuning, or know someone who has an
indentical engine (pistons, CR, cam, valves, ports, manifolds, exhaust, etc)
and has been through the tuning on the dyno, to determine all the correct
jet settings. There are at least seven settings to worry about on DCOEs: Aux
Venturi, Venturi, Emulsion Tube, Main Jet, Air Corrector, Pump Jet, Idle
Jet, and get one or more of these wrong and you will have a nice big flat
spot in the torque curve or a motor that won't idle. Poorly setup Webers
will actually reduce the HP compared to the std carbs, throw your fuel
consumption through the window, produce less torque at low revs (even when
well setup), and will cost you hundreds, if not thousands. They will also
require you to tune them regularly (unlike the set and forget SU's).

All this aside, when well setup they will blow away a car with similar sized
SU's or Stromberg CDs, and they are great carbs for flat out performance -
but as you can see they are problematic to setup right and cost a packet.

Owen Michaels-Hardy, Sydney Australia
1980 TR7 FHC Sprint