Re: Spitfire Rear Axles

To: Ralph Jannelli <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Rear Axles
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:05:01 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Ralph Jannelli wrote:

> I need to rebuild my rear axles. I don't have the special tool to
> remove the hubs. I am thinking of trying to make my own tool. I know they
> are available from TSSC for 50 pounds but with shipping across the pond
> this will end up costing me about $100 US. My plan is to take a trashed
> bolt on wire wheel adapter and have a 0.5 inch thick hardened steel plate
> welded onto the end of it and then drilling and tapping it
> for a grade 8
> bolt the same diameter as the threaded end of the axle, also tappering
> the end of the bolt to fit on the concave recess in the end of the axle.
> This would seem to do the same as the special tool.

> Do you think this will work?

Sounds logical enough to me. Here's a thought, though. Get a bad splined
hub from the left side of the car (clockwise tightening of the
knockoff). Tap the knockoff itself (maybe braze/weld a nut on the
underside instead) rather than welding up a plate on the face. Then you
have a couple of ways of getting everything apart.

I don't know if the knockoff would have the strength to take the
pressure, but who knows?

I haven't done this in years, and never with the original tool. I've had
SOME success making do with generic pullers, and I've heard horror
stories about folks who couldn't get them apart without mega-presses at
the machine shop.

Good luck and keep us posted.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *