Zenith-Stromberg needles...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, tr7@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Zenith-Stromberg needles...
From: "Deb Summa and Jim TenCate" <summa@roadrunner.com>
Date: 22 Oct 96 19:38:51 -0600
I'm writing this to both the general triumph list and to the TR7/TR8 list
(some early TR7 owners might benefit and folks there might be able to help
anyway).

The more I get into things and the more I hear and read from you folks, the
more it seems like I really DO have an altitude problem with my "emission"
TR6 Z-S carbs up here at 7500 feet.

For you TR7/TR8 readers, it seems I can NOT adjust the carbs lean enough
now that I've got the TR6 here to join the TR8, even though I had no
troubles doing so in Austin, TX (500 ft above sea level).  Too rich is what
the colortune and plugs say.  So, unless both float valves have suddenly
stuck open and are flooding the car with gas, I must presume I don't have
enough adjustment latitude on the stock 74 TR6 carb set up to adjust for
the thin air up here :-)

I've been reading and talking to local folks and everything I hear supports
the theory that altitude is the problem.  One local mechanic I chatted with
on the phone (seemed a bright guy too) told me that he gave up trying to
get MGs and Triumphs to run at this altitude with the stock needles/jets
and either (1) converted the cars to Webers or (2) refitted them with a
special high altitude kit (new needles) which he got from some place in
California (he doesn't remember the name).

So, since I'm interested in making this car run up here with the stock carb
setup, I need to find a source for "leaner" Z-S needles (biased, adjustable
kind)!  I've got a listing of all the profiles of a lot of different
needles from the Haynes book on these carbs and can generally guess at a
couple which might work.

Anyone know a source (US or UK) for these needles??  TRF only sells the
stock needles (interestingly, IPD/Volvo sell a range of needles for similar
carb set ups on early Volvos).  Roger Bolick wrote me and excerpted the
following message:

I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that THE experts in
Strombergs and SUs in the UK are Burlen Fuel Systems, Salisbury,
Wiltshire, England. They evidently bought all the Zenith stock, tooling
etc. upon liquidation of same and now run a worldwide parts and
remanufacturing service. My point is that they would a) be able to advise
you as to the best kit to use and b) sell you an O.E. kit! And yes, I am
biased because Salisbury happens to be my home town but B.F.S. really are
very helpful and knowledgeable. The above address isn't complete but
ought to get any mail to them - you may find their address in an issue of
Practical Classics or similar.
Andrew

Does anyone have any more information about these folks (full address or
phone number?) and have you dealt with them?

Thanks!
Jim

(any other comments welcome!)