Re: Spitfire ?'s<19961021141323053.AAA245@instant.nene.ac.uk>

To: Bschwartz@encad.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire ?'s<19961021141323053.AAA245@instant.nene.ac.uk>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:52:57 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>> Or, alternatively, unbolt the straps, throw them in the bin, turn the
>flange 90
>> degrees and bolt it straight to the remains of the propshaft.  This is what
>> John Kipping does with these things I believe.  I would assume all the straps
>> do is eliminate some of the 'shock' in the driveline.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>^^^^^^^
>WOW. . . I would definately recommend against this.  Those straps are there
>to take up the small fore and aft movement of the engine and differential on
>their respective rubber mounts, plus any small deviation in driveline
>length's attributed to production tolerances.  If you were to bolt it up
>solid you would be applying undue strain to the driveshaft u-joints and
>engine/differential mounts.  Remember, the bean counters at B/L were always
>screaming to lower costs (as any corp. will tell you) and if these items
>wern't absoulutely necessary they would have been eliminated in production
>as a cost saving measure.  Think about it for a moment, if the 'sliding
>shaft' wasnt necessary none of the TR;s would have them as a simple straight
>tube with a couple u-joints and flanges would certianly be cheaper!

I can see your point, BUT....on all the 1200 Heralds(Spitfire's with style as
Andy M would say) that I've worked on, they have ALL had a solid propshaft(Yes,
it's a bitch to remove) so I can't see as it would be any different to what I
said about removing the straps!!

>As a
>sidenote,  the John kipping your reffering to I believe were racing
>Spitfires which probably had solid (read bolted directly) engine and
>differential mounting?  In this case you could bolt things directly without
>concern for engine/diff movement.

Nope, the John Kipping I'm referring to is a major Triumph Spares supplier here
in England, don't know about any racing Spit's....:-)

Rich
England

ps. Hope this ain't gonna get nasty, I didn't mention any cats, OK Ken!!