Re: Spitfire rearend noise<961021105005_338122950@emout03.mail.aol.com>

To: SCHWANGAU@AOL.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire rearend noise<961021105005_338122950@emout03.mail.aol.com>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:25:06 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Morning Triumphy people and cat lovers(Except me!!)

>2.  Inner trunion bearing.  Most likely.  Spits are famous for loosing these.
> They are usually neglected because the lubrication is through a hole that is
>usually fitted with a plug, rather than a zirk fitting.  Try putting in a
>zirk and pumping those babies full.  Do this on the jacks and rotate the
>wheel to work this stuff in real well.  If you don't know where this plug is
>, look in the book.  It will show a picture of the back of the trunion/hub
>assembly.  These inner bearings fail because the needles run directly on the
>axel shaft, rather than on a bearing race.  Dumb, but cheap.  Got the cars
>off the showroom floor.  Wasn't that the manufacturers goal?

Just a thought, I once pumped my bearing full(Oo-eer, sounds like a corny line
from a Tracey Lords film) (Those who don't know Tracey Lords, well, don't
ask!! :-)) of grease, only to find it had come out inside the brake drum,
luckily it hadn't got on the shoes....but it could a done!!

just a thought, and according to the Peugeot advert, the average person has
20 odd thousand a day...but thats irrelevent, my god what am I on about, who
knows, who cares, who's bothered!!! :-)  Must gassed my brain with welding
fumes fitting the new sill(rocker panel) to the spit this weekend, it's amazing
the difference that made to the car, also, welding the front wishbone rollbar
link that had cracked got rid of that nasty knocking noise when I braked, AND
stopped the car doing an impression of a tug boat in a storm when I go road
bends......With all this work done and the hard top bolted on.....feels like a
NEW car, don't look like one, but it feels like one...:-)

Anyway, thats enough early morning ramblings from me.

Toodle Pip

Rich