Re: TR6: Horn Problem

To: Don Guthrie <don.guthrie@xtra.co.nz>
Subject: Re: TR6: Horn Problem
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 04:09:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Summer's nearly here (New Zealand) and I've nearly got my winter project
>('74 TR6 PI) into a warrantable state, but... the twin horns don't work.
>
>Symptoms are:
>
>When I press the horn button the relay clicks and there's also a click from
>the horns themselves (this click isn't loud enough to scare anyone).
>
>A circuit tester shows that there is current between the relay and the horns
>when the horn button is pushed.
>
>My Haynes manual is pathetically short on this subject - anyone got any
>ideas? Any suggestions on tests to isolate the problem?
>
>Cheers,
>Don Guthrie
>'74 TR6 PI

Don,
        Lucas horns? Argh. I've noticed on many Triumphs that the low note
is the one that fails first. Gives your nice, polished, sporty Triumph a
bit of embarrasement at a light! ;-) Anyway, sometimes various things get
up in the horns, try spraying a little WD40 up there. Reconnect teh horn
and make sure no one's in front of it (the WD40 sprays out) and hit the
button again. If all else fails, teh horns in VB are fairly cheap and
probably worth looking into. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Jeff Stovall
jstovall@earthlink.net
"I'm God's gift to humility."