Re: Spit clutch....LONG.<40.444464.700@channel1.com>

To: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Subject: Re: Spit clutch....LONG.<40.444464.700@channel1.com>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:03:38 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Morning all,

[snip]

>Other random thoughts...did you replace the pressure plate with
>a new one?  I hear this can go flakey and and give you the problem
>you describe.  Also....they say to "grease lightly" the splines
>of the tranny input shaft with copper based never seize.  Keeps
>the clutch disk moving back and forth freely.

I have now had 2 pressure plates break, basically, what happens is the (I've
tried to explain this before, but it's difficult using English :-)) spring
steel disc inside the pressure plate cracks.  This is the steel plate that has
the 'fingers' on it that the thrust bearing(throw out bearing) bears against
when disengaging the clutch.  This is a circular piece of steel that when
broken causes uneven pressure to be applied with some weird results.  Worth a
look, but you have to look inside the pressure plate to see the fault.

Good Luck

Rich