GT6 rear v.s. Spitfire-

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 rear v.s. Spitfire-
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 07:35:27 -0700
HI all,
I thought I would send this to the general list, and some of you have
probably seen this before, but since I've had several inquires about using
GT6 rear's (being stronger) allow me to clear things up a-bit.  Contrary to
popular belief, the GT6 is not any stronger than the Mk4 and later rear
ends, and actually not much stronger than the earlier versions.  The main
difference in the rears is the yoke mounting flanges are smaller in diameter
and use a smaller diameter mounting bolt pattern, as well as smaller bolt's.
I won't get into the details of all the different internal changes but these
were mostly bearing size, carrier changes,  and spider gears-.  Any properly
set-up MK4 and later Spitfire is as strong as any properly set-up GT6 as
they all use the same basic parts.  Actually the 76 and later Spitfire
diff's are the strongest of the bunch as there was a carrier change that
thickened the casting in the weakest area (probably because it is also used
in the "small" rear TR7 and they figured the extra torque would require it,
just my humble opinion ).  Hope that clears things up, and to those of you
that have heard all this before-remember there are always new people on the
list who may not have recieved earlier posts on these subjects :-)

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+