Re: Your Advice Needed (longish)

To: kperry@direct.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Your Advice Needed (longish)
From: JHarroun@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 10:44:48 -0400
Kieth,
You were seeking advice about buying a '59 TR-3.  I am certainly not the
formost expert on TR-3's, but I have owned three of them, and I have made
some mistakes.
On the face of it, the car you described sounds like it is in pretty good
shape.
The owner says the 26,000 miles are "original"; so are the other 100,000
miles which came first before the odometer rolled around.  I would suggest
you examine it carefully for rust, the floor pan is one area which rusts out,

and it sounds like it has been replaced with non-original sheet metal work.

Places to inspect for rust include:
The battery box built into the firewall
The lower rear area of the front fenders (Dirt and sand collects behind the
wheel-well, staying moist and rusting through.)
The trunk (The trunk lid drains through two hoses running from the "gutter"
to the rear wheel-wells.  These tubes get knocked off, allowing water to
drain into the trunk)
The floor-boards (They can collect water, particularly if the car is stored
outdoors)

The TR-3 engine is normally very solid, it will last well and run a long time

with decent care, or even abuse.

As far as price goes, I usually categorize TR's as:
1.  Parts / Project Car:  Doesn't run, may be partially disassembled.  Price
ranges from "haul it away" for a pile of English rust to as much as $2,000
for a mostly complete pile of parts.
2.  Driver:  Runs and is driveable, but is not restored.  Prices range from
about $3,000 for a car which needs a lot of work to as much a $8,000 for
a car which has been well taken care of.
3.  Show Car:  Fully restored, looking like new.  Prices range from $10,000
for a good amateur restoration to as high as $18,000 to $20,000 for a show
winner.
It sounds to me like your candidate is in the low end of the "Driver"
category,
say between $2,000 and $5,000.  I hope I have been helpful, I really like the

TR-3 and have had a lot of fun driving and working on mine.

Jim Harroun
'62 TR-3B