Re: TR6 exhaust system? - and headers?

To: ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 exhaust system? - and headers?
From: JIMDAV6@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 20:04:01 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Micheal,

This whole "exhaust system" thing is VERY subjective, so here's my .02;
I've had both the Monza and Stebro systems on previous TR-6's and IMHO they
"rhaspy" loud and very irratating on runs of 50+ miles. The reason, I
believe, is the mufflers are located under the passenger compartment and the
sound resonates upward. Sounds kind'a neat around town, but "drones" after
awhile at constant road speeds.
I had the Falcon stainless "sport" system from TRF installed 3 years ago on
one of my 6's and love it. The mufflers on this system are under the
trunk(boot) and the sound is aggressive, yet mellow.
I installed the Monza header on a previous TR-6 and never could get the thing
"fitted" properly...blew manifold gaskets every 5k mi. or so.
Bought a stainless header from British Parts Direct 503-895-2718 for $240 3
yrs. ago(guy there swears it's the same as TRF) and it fits great and has yet
to blow a manifold gasket.
If you installed a TR-6 transmission by yourself, you have my well earned
respect.

Hope this helps,
Jim Davis
CF38690UO