re: TR6 Ignition Timing

To: JCBOUCHARD@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR6 Ignition Timing
From: Steve Sutton <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 22:23:42 -0700
Conversation-id: <961013212424_333016472@emout05.mail.aol.com>
Posted-date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 22:27:09 -0700 (PDT)
I just went thru the same thing with my 74 1/2 TR-6 last week.  Acording to the
Bently manual you are supposed to disconnect the vacuum line from the
distributor, which raised the RPM's by 500 or so, so lower the RPM's to 800,
set it at 4 ATDC.  Reconnect everything and re-adjust the idle RPM's.  Guess
what, runs like crap.

Just for grins I checked it statically (should be 10 BTDC), after the above
procedure it was somewhere around 24 BTDC!!

I set it statically at 10 BTDC (using the old light-bulb trick), started it up
and threw a timing light on it and guess what....it shows 4 ATDC!!  Just what
it's suppoed to be ...to pass smog anyway.

So, to make a long story short, set the point gap (dwell) correctly, make sure
the idle speed is 800 - 850 RPM, leave the vacuum line ON the dist, and adjust
the timing to 4 ATDC.

Have fun!

Steve Sutton
74 1/2 TR-6
ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us

>  From: JCBOUCHARD@aol.com, on 10/13/96 9:24 PM:
>  Requesting someone's assistance about ignition timing.  The emissions
sticker
>  says 4xATDC @ idle.  Is this with the vacuum retard attached or
disconnected?
>   Bentley says to disconnect vacuum, run the car at idle listed ( 800 rpm)
and