Bleeding Brakes (still!)

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bleeding Brakes (still!)
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 22:37:21 -0600
Encoding: 43 TEXT
Wow I can't believe how hard this seems to be. I thank all respondents to my
earlier qustions about centering the PDWA valve so the brake warning light does
not glow while the ignition is on, Charlie B (CBrown1500@aol.com) had the best
answer (at least for my car) by suggesting that I remove the switch from the
body of the PDWA and manually center the valve using a sharp instrument (one
small enough to go into the hole). I did this nad it certainly does the trick -
thanks again Charlie B!!!

(What I mean by "for my car" above is that Charlie indicated the late model
TR6s had a single end cap which made the manual procedure possible - mine is a
late, late 76 TR6).

However,,,,, I am still having some problems bleeding my brakes. I must have
the wrong technique or something. The symptoms are that I go through the four
wheels in order of pass side rear, driver side rear, pass side front, driver
side front (my car is a left hand drive). I bleed until no more air bubbles
come out the tube (I am doing this with my Dad as the assistant in case you're
wondering if I'm doing it alone). I then give one more push on the pedal
(slowly) and close the bleed screw and (again slowly) release the pedal. I do
this for all four wheels in the order stated above.

At this point I have a brake pedal which offers resistance which seems "soft"
to me but satisfactory to my Dad. Now if I start the car (and I guess the servo
kicks in) I ahve a much softer pedal. The brakes are not what I would call
responsive. For those of you following my plight the last few months, you will
recall that I have not driven this car for eight years so I may have forgotten
how the brakes are supposed to fell, but, my 87 GTI has much firmer brakes. Any
way once the car is going (rolling slowly down my Dad's driveway for now - I am
not quite brave enough to go further) the brakes are deifinitely not working
properly as the car does not stop as it should.

Does anyone have any ideas on the cause of my grief???

FWIW, I rebuilt the master cylinder and the rear brake cylinders. Also I had
drained all (or as much as I could) the brake fluid from the systme before
commencing with the bleeding operation.

Thanks for all replies and suggestions.

Peter Zaborski, Calgary AB Canada
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)