Re: TR6 Clutch Hydraulics

To: peterz@merak.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Hydraulics
From: Creigtrium@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 17:24:18 -0400
In a message dated 96-10-06 01:37:52 EDT, peterz@merak.com (Peter Zaborski)
writes:

<< I am experiencing a problem with the hydraulics of my clutch (76 TR6). I
have
 rebuilt the master and slave cyolinders with new seals. Upon bleeding the
 system I cannot seem to get any fluid into the cylinder (at least that's
what I
 think is happening). Here are the symptoms:

 I pulled out the master cylinder because I thought the selas were bad or
 something was wrong with the rebuild I did. Well when I had it out all
looked
 ok so I pushed on the rod which connects the piston to the pedal, a bunch of

 fluid shot out (literally) of the hole into which the hydraulic line goes.
So I
 think the seal there is just fine (the resistance I felt when I did this
seemed
 normal). So I replaced the master and tried bleeding again. I noticed that
 every once in a while, if I only release the pedal slightly before beginning

 the next down stroke (all with the bleed nipple open) I will eventually
build
 up what seems like sufficient pressure (after maybe 15-20 strokes). A big
 bubble of air will move through the translucent red/orange plastic hose and
 some fluid seems to shoot out the bleed line. However the next pedal stroke
 produces absolutely no resistance whatsoever and I have to go through the
same
 routine.

 I am stumped as to what the problem might be. Has anyone got a clue? I would

 really appreciate soem help here since my manuals (Bentley and Haynes) don't

 seem to offer any description of this problem.

It sounds like you are not getting all of the air out.  I had an old Triumph
professional give me a method for bleeding the clutch hydraulics that
worked very well for me the last time that I needed to do it on my TR6.
What he told me to do was to find a hose long enough to go from the
slave cylinder bleed nut to the clutch reservoir.  Connect one end to
the bleed nipple and put the open end back in the clutch reservior.
Pump like heck on the clutch.

Hope this helps.

Creig Houghtaling
St. Louis, MO