TR6 Clutch Hydraulics

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Clutch Hydraulics
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 23:38:53 -0600
Encoding: 37 TEXT
Fellow listers,

I am experiencing a problem with the hydraulics of my clutch (76 TR6). I have
rebuilt the master and slave cyolinders with new seals. Upon bleeding the
system I cannot seem to get any fluid into the cylinder (at least that's what I
think is happening). Here are the symptoms:

I pulled out the master cylinder because I thought the selas were bad or
something was wrong with the rebuild I did. Well when I had it out all looked
ok so I pushed on the rod which connects the piston to the pedal, a bunch of
fluid shot out (literally) of the hole into which the hydraulic line goes. So I
think the seal there is just fine (the resistance I felt when I did this seemed
normal). So I replaced the master and tried bleeding again. I noticed that
every once in a while, if I only release the pedal slightly before beginning
the next down stroke (all with the bleed nipple open) I will eventually build
up what seems like sufficient pressure (after maybe 15-20 strokes). A big
bubble of air will move through the translucent red/orange plastic hose and
some fluid seems to shoot out the bleed line. However the next pedal stroke
produces absolutely no resistance whatsoever and I have to go through the same
routine.

I am stumped as to what the problem might be. Has anyone got a clue? I would
really appreciate soem help here since my manuals (Bentley and Haynes) don't
seem to offer any description of this problem.

Thanks as always for the generous advice.

Peter Zaborski, Calgary AB Canada
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
peterz@merak.com

PS. Does my mail get these strange return characters at about column 100 or so?
I recently switched to NT4 (please no abuse from you unix people :) ) and when
I read my own mail from this group using my normal Exchange mail client I get
horrible results. Let me know if the problem is manifesting itself on others'
mail software and I will see if it can get fixed up. Thanks.