TR6 clutch update...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 clutch update...
From: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 16:42:50 -0500
First of all - thanks to all the people who have sent me e-mails about
taking the clutch out of my TR6 - there were some real good advise in them.

Secondly - I thought that I would give you a 'live' coverage of
Clutch-removal-101. Started out at 2 PM - the sky was grey, 71 degrees F
outside, and getting my little tool collection, jack, stands, coke, radio,
phone, etc. ready. Started out by attacking the interior of the car - by
2:45 I had the passenger seat out, the carpet, the dash support, and the
tranny cover. Somebody had mentioned that was half the work - so I was on a
roll. Well, then I started looking at the some 19 bolts that needed to be
taken out - and doing this alone (and no compressor :-(!!) required quite a
bit of jumping in and out of the car. Just when I was getting started, a
slight drizzle began. Hmm - this is Texas, and it is not supposed to rain
-especially now when I am working on my TR6 with the top off in the parking
lot of my apartment complex. Well, I had parked it under a tree last week,
and was somewhat protected from the rain.  By 4 PM is was no longer just a
drizzle - it was almost pouring down, and everything was getting REALLY wet.
Well, the radio kept on playing the sound of the sixties (one of the classic
stations in town), and I didn't have that far to go - but eventually I gave
in to the rain. Put everything into the car, put the tonneau over, and
hurried inside. Status - the four bolts at the top are loose (so 15 are
down), and ready to be pulled out, the starter has been taken out, the drive
shaft has been disconnected and shoved out of the way, reverse-lights
disconnected, and the tranny unbolted from the body of the car - so tomorrow
it should hopefully just be a matter of minutes to pull the tranny out - and
then try to figure out what is really wrong with the clutch.

Thanks again to all the people who sent me e-mails about the clutch removal.

Michael

GT6 Mk. 2 1969 (Red w/1972 GT6 engine - and black targa-top)
GT6 Mk. 3 1971 (White - w/TR250 engine)
TR6 1974 - undefined red color - and my latest project