Re: TR3/3A/4/4A Rear Oil Seal

To: Jeff Williamson <jaws@mich.com>
Subject: Re: TR3/3A/4/4A Rear Oil Seal
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 17:15:35 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jeff Williamson wrote:

                ~EDITED FOR BREVITY~

> Hi all,
>

> I just finished a complete frame-off restoration on a 1958 TR3A which I
> have owned for may years. It has ALWAYS leaked oil, but I always assumed
> it was leaking around the oil pan, and since the car was seldom driven
> far at any one time, no big deal.
>
> After the restoration, which included a complete engine overhaul, I
> still noticed a leak after short drives around the neighborhood, but
> after a 3-hour trip, the leak turned into a pour  I noticed that neither the
>old or new seals have any
> type of sealing rubber.
>
> My real question is this --- Is there supposed to be some type of
> sealing rubber on this seal? or is the oil supposed to be contained by
> the grooves? If there is supposed to be some sort of rubber seal, what
> is it and where can I find it?
>
> Any advice on this subject would help. Thanks
>
> Jeff Williamson
> Belleville, MI
> 1958 TR3A (Almost back on the road again !!!)

Jeff,

    Wow, what a bummer! The only bright note about going back to
repair your problem is that at least you know where EVERY bolt is,
and even what wrenches to grab...small consolation though.

    The only reason I am writing is (besides offering my condolences)
is to say that I have seen such a crank/oil sealing system before, on
my '70 VW camper engine. The front end of the crankshaft is covered
by the fan belt pulley, which goes into the engine block. The only
way the oil is sealed here is by a spiral groove on the outside dia-
meter of the pulley's shaft, and a close fit with the hole in the eng-
ine block where it goes in.
    As strange as it sounds, it worked perfectly. From what I under-
stand, this system is on all VW's from DAY 1 'til the water-cooled
boxers and inlines came out.

                        JOE IV
                        TR 250
                 WALLINGFORD, CT. USA