New Engine Overheating Solved

To: Bschwart@pacbell.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: New Engine Overheating Solved
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 01:08:16 -0400
I replaced the thermostat with new Stant heavy duty 160 degree.  Seems to do
much better.  I think the old one was letting too much water through.

Other Item:  I reset  timing to about 18 BTDC.  It was a little higher and
had slight ping on load.  I am burning 92 octane.  Is 18 degrees still too
much?  Any more retard seems to contribute to overheating.

Other Item: Running the Weber downdraught and the engine idles with idle
screw backed full out and idle jet full in.  Where is it getting it's air?
 Sounds like a problem, but I don't know where to start looking.

Brian