Spitfire unibody separation - parking brake - boring tech help request

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, triumphs-owner <triumphs-owner@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire unibody separation - parking brake - boring tech help request
From: Stephen Worden <SWORDEN@infosysinc.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 96 12:52:00 PDT
Encoding: 38 TEXT
Greetings fellow spanner-wielders,

'75 Spit 1500 parking brake

On the underside of the body, above the differential, there is a lever
that is attached to a transverse-running unibody frame member.  This
lever is the connecting point between the forward-running handbrake
cable, and the transverse brake cable.

The unibody frame member, to which the pivot of the lever is attached,
has separated from the floor pan. At the (spotwelded?) joint where the
transverse frame and body should come together there is a gap of about
1/4-inch that runs for five inches.  It looks like the weld has let go,
and the frame was then damaged by the firm application of the handbrake,
as the lever arm and its corresponding mount are bent down and twisted.
 When I lay up and look, it's plain to see that the brake parts have been
bent down and this pulled the frame member away from the floor pan.

"There's a free surprise in every box!"

I think the fuel tank is directly above the frame member in question.  I
am seeking advice as to how to rejoin frame member and floor pan.
 (Please realize that I neither have time nor money nor inclination to
totally disassemble the car and trailer the body to the local welder "to
do the job right."  'Nuff said?)  Is it possible to remove the tank and
bolt the frame to the pan, pulling the frame back into place?  Or what??

Thanks in advance, everyone.  I'm grateful for all your help.

Steve

'68/'75 GT6/Spitfire hybrid
'62 650 Bonneville

sworden@infosysinc.com