Re: Spitfire tales Part 2

To: Postma <postma@interaccess.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire tales Part 2
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 08:12:46 -0400 "Spitfire tales Part 2" (Sep 30, 9:49pm)
> Subject: Spitfire tales Part 2
> To All:
[Tribulations deleted]
> And now for the dumb questions that I am sure to be remembered by:
> 1. Which cylinder is No.1, the one closest to the fan (if the car had one)
> or closest to the transmission? I know it is a dumb question.

Number one is at the front of the car.

> 2. What is the "correct" timing for a '77 Spit w/1500 engine? We are
> currently set at 18 degres BTDC at idle with the vaccum removed and plugged.
> At 2500rpm total advance is around 4100 degrees BTDC (yes, I said 4100
> degrees, I found the timing mark on the dark side of the moon). The engine
> starts good and has much pep at 18degrees/idle and about 28 degrees with the
> centrifical advance.

4100 degrees? I don't think so. How did you measure 4100? I don't recall
the correct timing. Now I might believe 40 degrees, but even that is a little
excessive. (4100-(360*11)-180) Someone else should be able to answer this.

> 3. When the car is driven hard (full or near full throttle acceleration up
> to 4000+ rpm with quick upshifts) the car back fires. This happens only when
> acceleration is hard, if the throttle is feathered, no backfire. Why????

Part of this answer may be in 4.

> 4. Did '77 Spitfires come from the factory with catalytic converters? And as
> long as we are discussing the exhaust system did this car car come with a
> muffler? It seems that this car has neither.

Yes, a '77 should have both a Cat and a muffler. This may be why you
are backfiring at WOT acceleration.

> On a more positve note, I found all of my old metric wrenches, (not just the
> one made by Mr. Cresent) they were out in the garage near the buggy whips and
> carriage wax. I also acquired the most important tool that an LBC mechanic
> can have, a genuine Anglican prayer mat. I fear that it may become the most
> frequently used tool I own.

Most of the parts on your Spit are going to be English sizes rather than
Metric.

> Thanks in advance,
> Greg Postma
> Andy Postma 77 Spit