Steering Wheel Removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering Wheel Removal
From: Rick Meyer <Rick.Meyer@state.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 20:57:44 -0500
Hello all,
I recently picked up my first LBC, a '74 Spitfire. I love it! I chose this car
over
a Miata! I've begun working on a few minor things. I need to replace the
ignition/steering
lock switch and turn signal/headlight dimmer switch. It appears the previous
owner
has put an entire steering column from a '77 - '80 on this car. It looks like I
need
to remove the steering wheel to remove the ingition switch and turn signal unit.
With much force, I was able to remove the nut that holds the steering wheel.

Now, my problem. How can I get the steering wheel off? It appears to be rusted
on quite
well. There's no room between the wheel and the dash to apply a hammer with any
useable
force. Is there some kind of tool made that can apply leverage from behind.
Anybody
know a secret method?

Thanks a bunch!

   -Rick