Driveshaft Woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Driveshaft Woes
From: yellowbullet@total.net (Steve L. Toth)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 21:46:06 -0400
Hello all,

   Recently at the VTR in Albany, it was apparent that it was my turn for
TR problems.

   1. Fire in the engine compartment about 30 miles from home (well,
Montreal, Quebec).  Smelled smoke, saw smoke pouring into passenger
compartment, pulled out the fire extinguisher, done.  It was a slight oil
fire behind the header due to an unseen valve cover leak.

   2. Fuel pump shut off.  Coast to the side of the road, empty trunk
(oops! boot).  Somehow a cigarette but became logged in the fuel line!
Interesting...

   3. 200 yards from the U.S. Border, a section of the road was missing!  Well
6 inches of it anyway.  Three lanes wide!  The TR falls into this crevasse
and the front right tire mashes the wing, dents and removes some paint.

   4. Okay, I'm finally in the "Good 'Ole U.S. of A.  We're crusin'...
What's that sound?  An air leak?!#$%^&*   So, I pull over, fill the area
with gold seal and it helps.

   5.  I finally get to the Hotel.  The next morning, get ready to autocross.
Wait, the front tires a a bit close to the fenders.  Go to a parts store,
get helpers...solved.

   6.  The autocross is done.  I'm going to the hotel to do repairs, i.e.
the valve cover gasket and exhaust/intake gasket.  Three hours later, all
is done.
Start it up, the fan is waving bye-bye!  The harmonic balance bolt is
loose! How!  Vibration?  Where?

   7.  All done!  Car is clean, and so is the driver.  On my way to
Saratoga Springs to "check out the local talent".  (women)  80 MPH up route
87 the rear u-joint falls apart and literally destroys the rear flange and
beats up the driveshaft!  A $90 flatbead ride back to the hotel.

   Well, everything was repaired with some help from fellow TR guys and
drove home.  Not limping, though.  At about 75 MPH there was some
vibration.

   This leads to the reason for the letter...(finally, whew!)

  I'm looking for a straight, prefferably balanced, driveshaft and a pair
of good flanges.  Can anyone help?

   BTW, maybe some of you chaps on the other side of the "pond" may be able
to teel me the name and number of a company that builds driveshaftss and
half shafts with larger diameters and u-joints.  A setup that can withstand
near 200 horsepower.

     Thanks all!

                                Steve L. Toth