re: Q-ship

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Q-ship
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:47:10 -0400
Andy writes:
>In case Strange Amercian Car Slang doesn't always drift eastward over the
>seas to the mother country, a Q-Ship is what some people call the various
>high-end, high-dollar (and, to me, high-pretense) Mercedes, BMW, [maybe]
>Jaguar, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti and other big luxury sedans. Me, I call
>them out of my price range!

To elaborate further, the term originated from special merchant ships in
a convoy that had guns mounted on them and hidden behind drop-down
panels, etc.  I believe it was in WWI due to the method of attack.

An unsuspecting submarine would surface in order to use its deck gun
on the "helpless, unarmed" ship, and the Q-ship would expose its guns
and blow the sub out of the water.

Later on, the term was applied to cars which were faster than they looked.
A similar term is "sleeper".  Things like Frick-Tappet modified '50's Fords
with big Cadillac engines (the Fordillac), VW bugs with Porsche 911 parts,
and I believe I've heard of a British variant -- Jaguar saloons modified by a
company called Coombs?  Hope this sheds more light on the matter.

Dave Williamson  (silikal@aol.com)  Spits in bits