Re: Latent heat rejection.

To: Christopher.C.Amley-1@tc.umn.edu
Subject: Re: Latent heat rejection.
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 12:02:39 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> It looks as tho the tubes are just blocked off at the hole.  (Is there a
> passage for coolant around the hole?) Anyway, I was wondering whether
> fitting a new radiator core, sans crank hole, would result in better
> cooling.  Has anyone done this?  I hate to give up the ability to start
> the car with a crank, but if it'd eliminate my running-warm problem I
> just might do it.

It's really not a running warm problem, (as stated below) it's a hot soak
latent heat disposal problem. (Pretty cool definition huh.?) ;-)

> BTW, this is not a serious problem.  I don't think the engine would ever
> cook, but after running on the highway on a 85F day, some coolant will
> burp out when I come to a stop.  Is this a common, er, feature?

Yes.

> Also, the cooling system is in good shape.  It has an original
> sleeve-type thermostat, the fan belt is fine, there's no sludge in the
> system, and there are no combustion products in the coolant.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for the fix below.

> TIA,
> Chris
> TS39449L - A Driver

Chris,

Try a coolant recovery tank. Worked like a champ on the MGB. The real simple
(cheap) plastic jobs that hook up to the overflow nipple at the radiator cap.

Cheers,

Ken Boetzer