Re: A Dead Horse named Tires

To: peb3@cornell.edu, smith007@intnet.net
Subject: Re: A Dead Horse named Tires
From: Hctcbob@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 19:35:18 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 96-07-31 11:05:47 EDT, peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
writes:

>I have used the 205/70-15 size for a while. They rub the anti-roll bar a
>bit, but not anything to get upset about.
 ..... I've been running 205-70-15's since 1983. Started with Vredisteens on
one car, went to Dunlop D65's on another car which also has a set of 7"
Shelby wheels shod with 225-65-15 Dunlop D40's and now have BFG Touring
205-70-15's on a third car (the first cars a goner now). Never have any of
these cars rubbed on the anti-roll bars. My suspicion is that the bar is not
mounted properly, ie; it has slid off to one side. In hard, downhill turns
while going over a bump at speed, the 225-65's hit the fenderwell lip.  The
rears rub the undercoating slightly in the same turn. Never any problems with
the 205's on stock rims.

I presently have Yokohama MD-H4's on the car. The ride is good and they are
quiet and stick as well as you'd expect from a 25 year old car. I paid $63
each for them from Tire Rack. Somewhat related: I fitted KN alloy wheels
(Panasport/Minilite style) and
>there is an interference with the upper ball-joint or something at full
>lock. Horrible scraping noise. Anyone else heard about this?

I'd bet your backspacing (space fron mounting flange on the rim to edge of
wheel) is greater than 3.5", which is stock. Most of the aftermarket wheels
are not designed for the TR4-6, and need spacers. The Shelby wheels (no
longer available) have 3.75" backspacing.  You can order Panasports with 3.5"
backspace, but I've seen lot's of TR6's with Panasports with too much
backspacing.  They look like VW mag wheels from the front. Come to think of
it, the Shelby wheels do contact the front upper A-arm while backing up in a
full locked turn. Not a real problem.