Re: Triumph gearbox id...for dummies

To: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Triumph gearbox id...for dummies
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 13:41:47 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Michael Noerregaard wrote:

> was KE 2961 - anybody can shed some light on what year this is? And whether
> it was originally a GT6 gearbox (my car is a mess of different stuff: TR250
> engine, GT6  O/D differential/ non-O/D gearbox)?

The gearbox is definitely not a Spitfire gearbox, since those numbers
begin with F.  GT6s begin with K.  What I'm curious about is the "E."  I
was under the impression that all KE numbers were for domestic
consumption, not for export.  Anyone else?

And then for my most naive
> question  - never having seen a Triumph gearbox before: There were two wires
> running to the top of the gearbox - but, with my very limited knowledge of
> gearboxes, I couldn't figure out why. There is no warning light regarding
> the gearbox - and to my knowledge no other reason why there should be wires
> running to a gearbox. Anybody want to shed some light on this for me - please?
>No other reason???  Michael, look at the _back_ of the car! <g>  How do
the back-up lights know you're in reverse?  Lucas equipment barely works,
so it's definitely not psychic.... <g>  The wires are for the reverse
switch.
Cheers.