Re: TR6 rear shock conversion tearing the car apart...

To: lars.johnsen@hd.uib.no, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 rear shock conversion tearing the car apart...
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 17:09:30 -0400
In a message dated 96-07-22 09:38:50 EDT, lars.johnsen@hd.uib.no (Lars G.
Johnsen) writes:

>Earlier I posted a question about the rear shocks of my TR6, imported
>from California to Bergen, Norway. This is the description I gave:
>
>> The rear shock
>> assembly seems to be rebuilt. There are aluminum plates bolted onto
>> either side of the inner rear wings which hold a bracket for the shock
>> absorbers. The shocks are therefore standing upright.

Lars,

This sounds like one of the "cheap" telescopic shock conversion kits.  The
"better" kits consist of three brackets for each side.  These better kits
have a series of brackets that connect the shock to the original shock mount
on the frame.  The cheap kits contain only one bracket that is attached to
the inner wing as you described.

The problem is that the cheap kits transfer all the force from the shocks
(which is considerable) to the inner wing which is not designed for it.  This
may be what is causing your problem.

Recommendation: Either revert to the original lever shocks or invest in the
better kits.

Personal experience:  I installed one of the better kits on my ' 71 several
years ago and have suffered no detrimental effects after some 10.000 miles.
 This kit has three pieces for each side.  One piece mounts in the wheel well
(as does the brackets you have), another bit mounts inside the car next to
the petrol tank and the third mounts directly below and attaches to the frame
where the lever shock mounts.  All three pieces are bolted together (through
the sheet metal with bolts and nuts (bolt holes not provided)).

I have heard that there is a new kit acailable that is one piece that
attaches to the shock mount on the frame and tucks inside the wheel well and
requires no modifications to the car.

Sorry to here about your prediciment.  I hope this information helps.

Dave Massey, St. Louis, MO USA
TR6Massey@aol.com