TR6 rear shock conversion tearing the car apart...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 rear shock conversion tearing the car apart...
From: "Lars G. Johnsen" <lars.johnsen@hd.uib.no>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 15:40:29 +0200
Earlier I posted a question about the rear shocks of my TR6, imported
from California to Bergen, Norway. This is the description I gave:

> The rear shock
> assembly seems to be rebuilt. There are aluminum plates bolted onto
> either side of the inner rear wings which hold a bracket for the shock
> absorbers. The shocks are therefore standing upright.

The conversion turned out to be a standard conversion from lever shocks
to telescopic, and similar to one produced by SPAX. Some said this is a
good conversion, while others adviced me to convert back to the lever
shocks the TR6 originally was equipped with.

Today, I had the opportunity to have a closer look at it, and the inner
wing on the drivers side is in the process of leaving the rest of the
body. Looking at the inner wing from the outside reveals nothing bad,
but as soon as I removed the fuel tank cover from the trunk, everything
was in the open. The welds that keep the inner wing to the body was
giving in, and leaving a gap so I could see the ground through it. It
appears that the cause of this tearing is the rear shock conversion.
Think I convert back ASAP.

BTW, how does the inner wing look like from the inside for those of you
who have made a similar conversion?

Best Lars

P.S The car has just cleared the customs, and import tax was 5.000$,
almost the same as the car itself! So now I have to prepare the car for
inspection by the build control before it can be registered.

--
Lars G. Johnsen  '74 TR6 CF27324UO
email: Lars.Johnsen@hd.uib.no