Ignition timing; rear shocks

Subject: Ignition timing; rear shocks
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@mailhost.scala.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 96 16:38:13 EDT
Someone asked about timing for a unit with retard disabled.  4ATDC (dynamic)
is _definitely_ wrong in that case - use 12BTDC static, and adjust for best
rolling-start acceleration from lowish RPM with no pinging.

4ATDC assumes a low idle (often hard to get with old carbs/vacuum leaks/etc),
with the retard unit at full retard.  The retard is only active at idle.

I just received 2 HD rear shocks from Apple Hydraulics.  Cool.  Finally
I'll have a controlled rear end as well as front (SPAX, and I have uprated
springs all around - perhaps too uprated in the front).  HD's have bigger
bushes and 30% uprated stiffness, and have a 2-year unlimited milage
warrantee, and cost $10 more ($59) than stock stiffness ($49) for my TR6.
I'm tempted to get them to rebuild my carbs - $295/pair.  Perhaps I'll just
have them rebush them ($45/carb) this winter while I'm rebuilding the tranny -
that's the only really specialized bit; the rest is just disassembly, cleaning,
and new gaskets/etc.

I found the rattle in the rear end - two of the shock bolts had backed off -
one almost totally.  Luckily they were on different shocks.  Hopefully the
ovalling isn't too much to get core charges back (it isn't bad on the one
I've examined so far).
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com