TR International - trip report

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (triumph cars list)
Subject: TR International - trip report
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 12:23:10 +0100 (BST)
hi all

I made it back from the TR International at Shepton Mallett in Somerset (SE
England),
and had a pretty good time. The event lasts 3 days: friday evening through to
the
Sunday, but I was only there Friday night & most of Saturday. My main reasons
for
being there were a) to support the TR Register & my local club b) to buy
discounted
parts.

I did pretty well; got all the bits I wanted apart from some minor stuff. The
only
thing that went a bit adrift was in the purchase of a new heater control cable.
The
one I bought was fine; but later I saw a rusty but serviceable one in box .. oh
well.
Its these rusty bits that fascinate me; I'll buy new when I need too but I'm
quite
happy to resurrect some old part; or combine some old parts to fix something.
There
is a trader at the TR International every year called South Yorkshire TR spares
or something - a family business & they dont gouge you on prices (for
aforementioned
rusty parts). Eg: I paid 3 pounds for a used windscreen wiper gearbox - some
other
guy wanted 18 pounds for a pair on the grounds that they are 25 new ...

The weather was fine; a bit too fine really as it was rather hot & so sunburn
was a possibility. Initially there weren't that many people/cars there, but by
the time
I was leaving on Saturday afternoon it seemed to be filling up. I didnt spy
other
list members, but I confess to not spending much time looking.

My rebuilt radiator seems fine. I had hoped the new core would lower the running
temperature but it isnt that much different to the old one. Naturally, the half
hour
job to install the thing turned out to be considerably longer - the mounting
points
had all moved, so some filing was needed to get it in, plus I've realised the
edge
of the bonnet crossmember is hitting it ... I propose a new acronymn "PL" to be
used
to describe the fixing of old cars: this stands for "Profanity Level" and is
an index to the difficulty of the task. Eg: the profanity level of my radiator
installation was 20% ...

--

Regards, Adrian + TR4 (now with rebuilt radiator)
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk