Bent engine front plate remedy?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bent engine front plate remedy?
From: Liquid@massey.ac.nz
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 02:03:12 +0000
I recently received an alternator conversion kit for a Triumph Vitesse from
Rimmer Bros.  The kit includes a cast mounting bracket that replaces the
pressed steel item the currently holds the dynamo.  The instructions call
for the new bracket to be mounted so that the front face is flush with the
protrusion on the engine front plate.  The problem is that on my engine
this protrusion appears to be bent backwards slightly.  My question is, how
can I bend it back without removing the front plate from the engine.  I
tried tapping gingerly with a hammer, but was scared to hit it too hard in
case I did some damage.  Would it be OK to try heating it with a blow torch
and then giving it a whack with the hammer?  Would this be likely to damage
the timing cover seal (which leaks a bit anyway), or worse still the front
plate mounting.  Would it be a fire hazard to wave a blow torch around in
the engine bay> - the said protrusion is on the opposite side to the carbs.

Thanks in advance for any responses, Pat Edwards

Dept. of Chemistry
Massey University
Palmerston North
New Zealand