Re: TR6: Frame Fixing!

To: duhart@symbol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6: Frame Fixing!
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 12:17:21 -0400
In a message dated 96-07-17 13:23:33 EDT, duhart@symbol.COM (DUHART JOHN)
writes:

>Hey All,
>
>       OK, I just have to build some shelving and a loft in the garage, and
>then the rebuild will begin.  T-minus one month.
>
>       As you all may remember I have to replace the rear trailing-arm
>sections
>with new units purchased from Rimmer Bros.  My question is this, what
>type of battle can I expect trying to get the old cross-members off the
>frame.  I have the Practical Classics book on doing a TR6 rebuild.  They
>talk about repairing section of the frame yourself.  I would like to know
>what other people's experience has been.  Will a grinder, hammer and
>chisel ne enough to do the job, or what.
>
>Later,
>JHD IV

Mark,

Lacking a cutting torch,  a grinder should suffice.  Bear in mind that all
these things are put together by overlapping parts and welding.  That means
that to disassemble parts without destroying them will be tricky.  The top
and bottom cruciform (brest) plates (the flat pieces of steel that tie the
cross members and the main frame rails together) need to be cut loose.  Since
these also rust you might consider replacing these as well.

The real tricky part is to get the new parts back in with the proper
alignment.  Take lots of measurements before you cut and do one side at a
time so you can use the other side for reference.

Dave (been there, done that) Massey
TR6Massey@aol.com