Re[4]: TR4A Water Pump Pulley

To: RBrown5149@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[4]: TR4A Water Pump Pulley
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 96 08:05:39 EDT
Just to add to this topic:

Hal, I don't think the pumps with the pressed-on pulley are available anymore.
The last time I saw one of those was 1983.  All you can buy now are the QH
water pumps and the separate pulley.  As you might have guessed, I've had
rotten luck with both.

You have to grind the pump body to fit the pulley, then you have to shim the
pully to get it to line up with the rest of the pulleys.  Sounds like fun?
It is.

Even this didn't work with a water pump I put on our TR4 about a month ago.
I bought the QH pump from Moss, and the pulley was a unit I bought from Moss
several years ago.  After grinding the pump to fit the pulley we noticed that
even with the pulley all the way in the shaft did not come to the front of
the pulley.  Shimming it meant that even less shaft was inside the pulley
(this might not sound like a big deal, but if there is any wobble of the
pulley at all on that shaft it can break the threaded portion on the end and
off comes the pulley, the more shaft, the less chance of wobble.  Instead
of shimming it all the way out to line up with the other two pulleys I
actually moved the generator pulley back 3/32" (2.4mm), trading off increased
shaft length for increased belt wear.

I truly do hope someone does come along and make a true replacement pulley
for these.  The difference in the pulleys is just the internal offset of the
portion that holds the shaft.

If any parts vendor that has been selling these tells you that they haven't
had a problem either that person is new, is lying, is stupid, is clueless,
or is smokin' dope.

Bruce Clough
cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil

BTW:  I normally rebuild the old pumps, the last episode with the TR4 was a
case of not having time to rebuild one.  I just had to invent the time to
make it fit (and not totally properly...).