Re: TR4A Water Pump Pulley

To: RBrown5149@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A Water Pump Pulley
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 96 16:36:32 EDT
On Jul 16,  3:49pm, RBrown5149@aol.com wrote:
> I recently ordered a replacement water pump and pulley for my TR4A from
> Victoria British.  The pump installed perfectly but when I bolt on the
> pulley, it lays up against the pump housing and will not rotate freely,
> almost as if there is a spacer missing but the diagrams show no such part.

Yup, you've got one of the repro pumps.

> I contacted Victoria British and they do not have reports of the parts not
> fitting.

Frankly, they're lying through their teeth.  This has been a problem for
about five or six years now.  You can either add a spacer (bad fix)
or grind the pump body a bit (better fix).  I ended up getting a
good used pump and have been using it for several years now.  I'm
not sure what I'll do when I need another one.  TRF is also aware of
the problem and there was talk of them making a new batch of pulleys
that fit correctly; I'm not sure if they've actually done it, though.

good luck,

John Lye

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU