Re: Removing "Locking Style" Lug Nuts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Removing "Locking Style" Lug Nuts
From: shammy@inmind.com (Christian Simonsen)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 01:16:16 GMT
If you love it, you didn't get taken. I paid nothing for mine. Well, not
really, it was given to me by my great aunt. It was my great uncles and I'd
kinda taken care of them (home repairs and the lot) for  about 12 years and
she gave up on him driving again and gave me the car.

But I digress. This sounds funny but actually works, even with a buggered up
round stud. Here's a trick that my great uncle taught me that "works every
time (if its done right)".

Use a wedge in a different way. Find a large socket that will fit over the
nut. Find or make 3 metal dowel pins the length of the inside depth of the
socket (cut up an old screwdriver shaft with the dremel). Find the socket
that will allow the dowels to be inserted equidistant and go over the nut.
If the fit is good enough, as you turn the socket the pins will roll and cam
over against the nut, (roughening it up with the dremel was actually good)
allowing sufficient force to remove the offending nut.

Good luck.

Christian Simonsen
Virginia, USA
shammy@inmind.com

1954 TR2 TS1675  long door waiting for attention

1963? TR4 CT 24093 LO runs like a champ most days

Homebrewer extraordinaire (in one of my wildest dreams anyway)