Re: Spitfire 1500 clutch probs.

To: TriumphSof@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 clutch probs.
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 22:38:36 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net

<<  After letting the car warm up for a few
 minutes, I proceded to put the car in gear.  The clutch felt normal, a
little
 mushy though.  CRRRUUUNNNNCH! Tried again after pumping the pedal a few
 times.  Samething. Lifted the bonnet and pulled the trans tunnel cover.
 Bled
 the system.  A little air was in the system.  Explains the mushy pedal.
 Good
 to go I thought.  Started the car again, tried to put into gear,  CRRUUNNCH!
   Hydraulics were fine.  Pulled the slave cylinder, tried to operate clutch
 manually.  Would not go into gear.  Anyone have any ideas or clues about
what
 could be causing this?

TIA,

Sound like you've got the typical friction disk stuck to the flywheel. It can
happen in just a few weeks of non-use.

Get the car warmed up again. Turn the engine off, and with a lot of room
either in front or behind the car, put the car either in 1st or reverse
(whichever end has enough room-a good 25-30 feet should do), leave the clutch
out, and restart the engine. It'll kick an buck as it tries to start, but it
should break the friction disk loose.

Good luck
Charlie B.