Spitfire 1500 clutch probs.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire 1500 clutch probs.
From: TriumphSof@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 21:28:12 -0400
After not having driven my Spitfire for several weeks (got a new toy, an 84
Porsche 928),  I decided to get it out today.  It started just fine, no
problems.  When I parked the Spit,  I chocked the wheels, left the parking
brake off and the car out of gear.  After letting the car warm up for a few
minutes, I proceded to put the car in gear.  The clutch felt normal, a little
mushy though.  CRRRUUUNNNNCH! Tried again after pumping the pedal a few
times.  Samething. Lifted the bonnet and pulled the trans tunnel cover.  Bled
the system.  A little air was in the system.  Explains the mushy pedal.  Good
to go I thought.  Started the car again, tried to put into gear,  CRRUUNNCH!
  Hydraulics were fine.  Pulled the slave cylinder, tried to operate clutch
manually.  Would not go into gear.  Anyone have any ideas or clues about what
could be causing this?

TIA