Re: TR4A Brake Drum

To: RBrown5149@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A Brake Drum
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 00:11:22 -0400

>Does anyone have a suggestion for removing a stuck rear brake drum on a
TR4A?
> The drum will not budge and I have tried knocking, prying, etc.  Help!!!

Lots of good suggestions have already been posted, but not the easiest way
(IMHO) assuming it's not hung up on the shoes, you HAVE removed the screws,
etc.  Be aware that if the brakes are really badly worn and the shoes have
grooved into the drums, then you have to back the adjusters WAY off.

Anyway, assuming the above don't solve your problem, then there's one final
trick that's usually all you need...  Heat the drum around the hole where it
fits on the hub -- it's most likely stuck there.  Don't be afraid to apply
heat -- the drum gets really hot in operation -- but be sure to spread the
heat out and don't just dive in to heat one little spot on an otherwise cold
drum.  Apply heat to the flat face mainly -- that's what will expand it off
of the round center locating portion of the hub, where they usually stick.
 If you have a large puller, put it on and apply some force before you heat
it.  Don't be surprised of there's a loud pop when it jumps loose, and also
don't be surprised if it doesn't come off entirely the first heating -- it
may only jump part-way off.  Just tighten the puller a bit and heat it a
little more.

Good luck
-Karl