RE: Good Brit-car shops in South Bay, CA?

To: "'Fred Ki'" <ki@zycad.com>
Subject: RE: Good Brit-car shops in South Bay, CA?
From: Chris and Karen Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 17:49:00 -0700
Cc: "'British Car List'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Fred,
        I see you have gotten a couple of responses already, so let me
give you a little taste of how things generally end up in this situation.
You will find the most diverse set of opinions on these lists that you
could ask for.  This comes in handy as information is power!

        My take on British Motorsports and Triumphs only is the exact opposite
of Mike's, I have had good experiences with Wayne at Triumphs Only
and get the feeling that Dave at British motorsport was trying to take
me for all he could get.  For instance, Brit Motor wanted $75 for a used
flywheel that needed to be resurfaced, whereas Wayne at T.O. gave me
a good clean one for $20.  Likewise, the heater control estucheon for
a wood dash would have cost me $35 at BM and Wayne gave me one for $10.
I have never used either for actual shop work although I'm sure they are
both capable.  They both seem very busy, so plan on being down for a while.
(though from the sound of your situation, you will be down anyway).
        If all you need is the engine rebuilt, why not pull it out yourself
and run it down to a reputable engine firm?  Not only will this get your
fingernails dirty, as all good lbc owners nails are, but you will understand
the inner workings of your car on a more personal level.  You will find the
experience will make things like replacing a clutch, or adjusting your valves,
or changing u-joints, all things that will eventually (or regularly in the case
of valve adjustment) should be done.  You will also find that a strictly engine
shop will be faster and probably better than going to an all purpose shop
        Remember, parts are parts, you can buy all new and do a rolling
restoration,
or you can find your best deal on used parts...just remember that's what
the phone is for...call for prices first.  On both the previous examples I
drove to the
sites to find out these price differences.
        Good luck and stay in touch, we're all here to help. (at least with
what we can)

Chris "damn these wires" Prugh
72 Spitfar
Morgan Hill, CA