Re: TR4A Brake Drum <960703152747_347889100@emout10.mail.aol

To: RBrown5149@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4A Brake Drum <960703152747_347889100@emout10.mail.aol.com>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 17:51:30 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
RBrown5149@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion for removing a stuck rear brake drum on a TR4A?
>  The drum will not budge and I have tried knocking, prying, etc.  Help!!!

Some of these suggestions may seem stupid, but I have personally
seen all of these problems (at different times) on Triumphs while
trying to knock the rear brake drum off:

  1)  Make sure the hub turns freely.  If not, the brake is
      applied, probably because the parking brake is on, or
      possibly because of a stuck brake hose or brake
      cylinder.   (One can hit on the drum for a *long* time
      with a BFH, and not make any progress, if the parking
      brake is on!)

  2)  Assuming the hub turns freely, make sure that the two
      tiny screws which hold the brake drum to the hub have
      been removed.  If these haven't been removed, you'd best
      remove them before proceeding...

  3)  Bang on the drum with a rubber mallet to see if you can
      at least get the drum to move.  If it moves even a little
      bit, there is hope!  Once you get movement, work the drum
      back and forth repeatedly.  If it comes partially off and
      then hangs up, put the drum back on all the way, and bang
      a few times with the rubber mallet (as if trying to put
      the drum ON), and then try to remove again.  This procedure
      loosens flakes of rust between the wheel studs and the
      brake drum.  Patience is the key here.  Sometimes rotating
      the entire hub/drum assembly 90 degrees, so that you can
      pull on a different section of the drum, works wonders.

      If you aren't getting any movement, proceed to the next
      step...

  4)  Try to figure out if the drum is hanging up on the wheel
      studs, or the brake shoes.

        a)  If it is hanging up on the brake shoes, backing off
            the adjustment screw will help make it easier to
            get the drum off.  (The adjustment screw is on the
            back side of the brake plate.)

        b)  If it is hanging up (rusted to) on the wheel studs,
            putting some penetrating oil around the studs where
            they pass through the drum will help.  After applying
            the penetrating oil to the studs, continue to tap on
            the brake drum with the rubber hammer to allow the
            vibrations to work the oil into the joint.
                NOTE:  Getting oil in the brake drum is *NOT* a
                       good idea, as this will affect your ability
                       to stop.  If you use any oil anwhere on the
                       the drum, be sure to thoroughly clean the
                       drum (with a brake cleaner) to remove all
                       traces of oil.

The above are all of the ideas I have.  Hopefully others will have
some other suggestions, too...

--ken
'74 TR6 Daily Driver

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631