Re: Spitfire camber compensator

To: John Matthews <matthews@apple.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire camber compensator
From: pwatson@ix.netcom.com (Pete Watson)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 02:14:07 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net.I.had.a.Spit.MkII.as.my.daily.driver.for.twelve.years.through.the
late 60's and 70's (yes, I got to be a good mechanic in that period),
and I had fitted an EMPI camber compensator.  It was fine, in fact
almost necessary, for street use.  In particular, the sports car clubs
in this area required Spits to use them for autocross competition.
     One mod I made was to lengthen the end links that connected the
ends of the compensator to the rear uprights, from the 3" or so
provided in the kit, to about 6".  I used grade-8 spring bolts and
stacks of washers to make these.  This caused the compensator to work
against the road spring for small displacements in ride, giving an
overall lower spring rate on smoother roads, but then increasing the
spring rate as both the compensator and spring started to be flexed in
the same direction by larger suspension movement.  Poor man's variable
rate suspension!  It also caused a little increase in negative camber.
     I had also decambered the front suspension to 1-1/2 deg neg by
shimming under the lower A-arm (reset the toe-in if you do this), and
fitted 13x6" wheels with 185/70 tires.  The springs were left stock.
It cornered well enough to completely wear out the front lower trunnion
bushings each year, on Michelin ZX tires!
     If the MkIII has the swing-spring on the rear, the effect of the
compensator may be different.

     Pete