Re: ?:OK to remove gearshift lever adjusting bolts to remove lever?

To: tlund@ilhawaii.net
Subject: Re: ?:OK to remove gearshift lever adjusting bolts to remove lever?
From: morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 11:18:06 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Tom,

<SNIP>

> Is there a way to get the transmission tunnel cover off without removing
> the gearshift lever? BTW, my tunnel cover appears to be fiberglass.

I've been into the clutch on my 76 TR6 a bunch...I've found that one doesn't
need to remove the gearshift lever.  By removing the gearshift knob and putting
 the tranny in 2nd you'll have enough clearance to get the tunnel off.  I have
a fiberglass tunnel too... One advantage of leaving the gearshift lever on is
that you'll have something to hold on to when pulling the tranny out...

<SNIP>>
> Moss offers standard (I guess) and heavy duty competition clutch kits.
> Any good reasons for going with the more expensive competition kit?
> I don't push my TR hard and really don't need more excercise for my
> right leg. Will the heavier clutch last longer? Any other benefits
> or problems?

I have no first hand insight into the TRF competition clutch (other than its
high cost), but I have had experience with Quiton and Laycock clutchs.  I have
found the Quiton are real crap (had two pressure plates fail within 5k miles
of normal easy street driving!).  I've been quite happy with the Laylock clutch.

> With the tunnel cover off, I'll finally be able to attach wires to
> the reverse
> switch for the backup lights. Any idea on how to route the wires
> back to the
> lamps? My wires seem to be missing completely.

Mine too!  That is still on the shit-I-gota-do-it list...

Have fun!

Mike Morelli
Houston, TX
H:713-532-1646