Re: Stag Ignition light

To: Lawrence Schilling <lchillin@siu.edu>
Subject: Re: Stag Ignition light
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 11:45:15 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: stag@homer.balltown.cma.com, TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Lawrence Schilling wrote:

> The ignition light on the dashboard of my '73 Stag is staying on after the
> ignition is turned off and the key removed.  Of course this killed my
> battery overnight.  Does anyone know if this is symtomatic of anything or
> just a short or what???  Any suggestions on what I should do about it????
> **************************
> * Lawrence Schilling     *
> * Institutional Research *
> * So. Ill. University    *
> * lchillin@siu.edu       *
> **************************

WAG: it's something in the regulator (which I'll guess is built into the
alternator on a Stag). I had a similar problem once on a Mk.3 Spit; one
of the contacts on the regulator (gen. equipped car in this case) had
"welded" itself closed. Charging system was fine otherwise.

Short term solution: disconnect the battery. Longer-term solution: new
regulator. Maybe you could unplug the alternator when leaving the car
until you get a chance to have it checked?

Just my 2 amps worth....

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *