TR6 from US to Norway

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 from US to Norway
From: "Lars G. Johnsen" <lars.johnsen@hd.uib.no>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 14:52:59 +0200
Hi all

Earlier I posted some questions to this list about my importation of a
Triumph TR6 from US to Norway. Now the car has arrived and sits in
storage here in Bergen awaiting customs clearance. Before it was placed
in storage I had a couple of days with it, and prepared it for a drive
from Oslo to Bergen, about 350 miles.

First, to those who remember my posting about the enginge number som
weeks ago, I can inform you that the one given to me namely CF262634E,
should be CF26263UE, so yes Phillip Barnes, you were right.

The overall condition of the car on arrival was good. The odometer read
80.000 miles, and there was no rust (some spots on the drivers floor
pan, and some around the battery), and it ran. However, it leaked fuel:
the trunk was soaked with fuel from a hole in the fuel tank, and one
carb leaked fuel down onto the exhaust, A miracle that the thing hadn't
exloded! We (my brother and I) managed to fix that, but I guess I have
to buy a new fuel tank for it.

It arrived with Michelin redlines, but they were pretty worn so I bought
four new (reconditioned) Micheling MXVs (90$ each) 185/15 for the trip
from Oslo to Bergen. Anticipating rain, I thought this was a good
investment, and rained it did.

The engine was fine, apart from the valve adjustments, but that was a
quick fix. The compression ranged from 145 (4 cyls.) to 150 (2 cyls.)
which I think is pretty good.

Driving it revealed that the front shock absorbers need replacement. It
was quite nerve wrecking driving it over the mountains where the roads
are rough. Together with a considerable slack in the steering, it
required a lot of consentration going through bumpy S-turns. But on
smooth surfaces it was fine, although it got a bit wavy in the front
when I got off the trottle after an overtaking. It didn't like any
weight on the front at all.

But I managed to get to Bergen in fine shape, after a 7 hour drive, so
now I hope that the car will pass the build control (after obvious work
on suspension).

I have one question for the list in this respect. The rear shock
assembly seems to be rebuilt. There are aluminum plates bolted onto
either side of the inner rear wings which hold a bracket for the shock
absorbers. The shocks are therefore standing upright. The shocks
themselves didn't carry any identification other than being white with
Gas-adjust printed in red on them. Anyone knows what shocks these are,
and what kind of rebuild that has been performed?

Best

Lars G. Johnsen
TR6 '74 #CF27324UO