76 TR6 Clutch Pipe

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 76 TR6 Clutch Pipe
From: morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 14:13:22 -0500 (CDT)
Hi folks!

I haven't been adding much to the conversation lately, so here's one I hope
is usefull....

BACKGROUND: I've had lots-o problems with my clutch.  Everything is working
(after replaceing most everything from the master cylinder to the fly wheel!).
This past weekend I replaced the slave cylinder (again! -  that's another
story...), which gave me the opportunity to experiment with a few things
to hopefully simplify bleeding the system.  I have found that practice has not
lead to mastering the bleeding task....It always took a lot of time and fluid
for me to get all the air out, even with a Mityvac (which is helpful).

OBSERVATION: I suspected that two factors might be contributing to my
improficiancy.  The first was the 180 degree bend in the clutch pipe (alowing
part of the pipe to stick up above the fluid level of the master cylinder);
and the second was the orientation of the slave cylinder (bleed scew below the
clutch hose).
Both of these conditions I felt might provide for bubble traps.

SOLUTION:  I bent a new clutch pipe such that it possessed two gentle 90's and
went over and around the break master cylinder.  I can't remember where I got
the new pipe (TRF or Vicky), but it came straight and with the fittings
already attached.  It was no problem bending the pipe over a can of WD-40.
This left just enough slack for the hose-to-slave link.

The nest step was to mount the slave cylinder with the bleed screw above the
input fitting.  It is a bit tougher to get at the screw this way, but not too
bad.

RESULT:  The system bled easily the first time!  Not much waisted fluid
either (about 3 oz. using the Mityvac).  I'm not sure which one of these
changes made the difference, but it is simple to bleed now!

Mike Morelli
W:713-483-1447
H:713-532-1646