Re: TR6 Headers+exhausts

To: swalsh@eznet.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Headers+exhausts
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 14:24:05 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

If you read the "competition prep manual", you will find that a single
exhaust is actually the set-up that Group 44 used to get optimum
performance. The trick is to use a good header, the so-called 3-2-1
setup. At the point where the header transitions to a single pipe, the
diameter should be 2.5 inches all the way to the back of the car. At
least that's what the book says.

For street applications, you should add some muffling. I might suggest
terminating into a "Super Trapp" muffler with muffling and baffles.

With the Monza header, I believe that the "early" and "late" setups come
with a single and double pipe collector respectively. Note: the spacing
of the ports on the header is slightly different between "early" and
"late", so if you wanted the 2.5 pipe all the way back and you're
starting out with a "late" head, you need to make an adapter from the big
single pipe down to 2.5 inch. This should a pretty simple fabrication job.

Of course if you don't want to fabricate too much stuff, buy the Monza or
Falcon products that act as an exhaust system. You'll have to "fit" them,
but they are supposed to go together pretty well. Note: both Monza and
Falcon have a setup with dual mufflers at the terminus of the system.
However for the early single downpipe systems there is an adapter "y"
pipe from a single pipe to the dual mufflers just prior to the mufflers.

Get the one that is right for your cylinder head. If you're not sure
which cylinder head you have, a cheap way to distinguish is to buy an
exhaust/intake manifold gasket and see if it fits exactly to your head.
If the gasket doesn't fit, then you have "the other one". It'll be really
obvious when it does not fit. The stud pattern for early and late are the
same, the exhaust port openings (and the intake too, I believe) are in
different physical locations for "early" and "late".

Note: somebody else asked for the distinction for "early" and "late". TRF
indicates CC75000 as the cutover. This would be around '72.

rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: You'll have to talk to my attorney about that topic...