Windshield wiper motor finish

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Windshield wiper motor finish
From: Peter Barlow <PBarlow@sierrasys.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 96 10:41:00 PST
Encoding: 26 TEXT
Hi gang,
 I'm trying to determine the original finish for the
various pieces of the wiper assembly on my Equipe (which
is the same assembly as a Herald/Vitesse, and probably
pretty close to the Spit/GT6).  The motor is essentially
a "squared" tube of steel, which houses the armature and
windings, capped by a small and a large aluminum casting.
I'm pretty sure the aluminum has always been unpainted.
I can't, however, determine the original colour of the
steel.  I've seen lots done black, but if anything the
remnants of paint I see are gray, maybe better to match
the aluminum pieces?
 The larger aluminum piece houses the gear and dowel
which pushes and pulls on the wiper cable.  The gear and
cable is covered by two steel pieces, which appear to have
a "plated" finish, but not chrome.  Pardon my ignorance,
but can someone tell me what it is?
 Lastly, the copper (?) tubes in which the cable runs
also appear to be plated rather than painted, but again I
don't know with what.
 Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Peter Barlow