TR2-6 Diff Gear Ratios

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2-6 Diff Gear Ratios
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 00:42:08 -0500
Sorry to blast the list with this...but I'm on the mobile and don't have the
parties name
with me.

A few days ago someone posted that they thought that the overdrive ratio was
.88 and that with the stock 4.11 to 1 gearing, that the overall ratio worked
out to approx 3.6
to 1, and shouldn't it be lower numerically.
I have never seen a TR series car fitted with anything other than a .82 ratio
overdrive.
There have been three major different models fitted to these cars, but all
with the same ratio. This ratio would give a final drive of about 3.37 to 1
when fitted with overdrive and
a 4.1 to 1 ratio rear end. This would exhibit a much lower " cruising " rpm.

Certainly Laycock has built several different overdrive ratios, for many
different cars,
but for the Triumph car line, all I have ever seen are:
.88 ratio - on spitfire series cars
.82 ratio - on TR series cars

A .78 ratio overdrive is also a popular unit, fitted to Healey's and Jag's

                                                                 Oh, What's
the Diff
                                                                        Nick