RE: TR 3 rear brakes

To: mkatzman@email.njin.net
Subject: RE: TR 3 rear brakes
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 10:47:57 -0700 (MST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
mkatzman@email.njin.net (marshall katzman) writes:

> My driver's side rear brake on my 1959 TR-3 does not seem to be releasing
> after I try to move my car from a parked position. For about 100 yards I
> hear a mettalic sound from the left rear wheel it then goes away and only
> returns after I try to start from a parked position. Sometimes the brake
> seems to lock or freeze to the point where it is very difficult to move the
> car.

My guess is you won't know till you take the drum off.  There
should be a pair of springs whose job it is to hold the shoes
away from the drum until the piston is extended

Back off the adjuster a notch and take the drum off.  There
could be several problems:  1. rusty, stretched, broken, loose
or missing return springs 2. overtightened adjuster  3.  Worn
and sticky piston 4.  shoe retainers (those capped springs that
hold the shoes to the backplate) slipped or missing.

Check the condition of the shoes for uneven wear (sounds like
it might be down to the metal somewhere) and that might give
you an idea where the problem is occurring.  If the problem is
not visible, get someone to lightly operate handbrake while
the drum is off, and see if everything returns properly.  Check
also the condition of the inner drum braking surface.  If this
surface is damaged the shoe could hang up on it.