Re: TR-6 crash pads

To: kerch@parc.xerox.com, triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: TR-6 crash pads
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 05:58:12 -0500
Barry

It is necessary to remove the windshield before changing the crash pad in the
proper manor.  I guess one could carefully cut the crashpad at the winshield
seal but this would be a (what was the word?) botch job at best.

I have removed several windshields and there is one thing to watch out for.
 There are three bolts on top of the dash (obvious).  There is also two pins,
one at each end of the windshield.  These pins set into sockets mounted to
the inside of the inner fenders/bulk head.  The sockets are mounted with 3
bolts each and there are nuts at the end of the pins which must be renoved.

One would think that - after removing the nuts on the end of the pins and
loosening (slackening) the bolts on the sockets to remove the clamp pressure
- the windshield frame would just slide out.  But NOOOOOOO.  Typically these
are assembled when the paint is still soft and no amount of tugging will
break it free.

I have resorted to removing all the bolts and using Vice Grip brand locking
pliers (or eq) twisted the socket back and forth and downward to get it off.
 (The socket will not fit through the hole in the dash top and must come off
underneath.)

All this is difficulty is agrevatted (sp?) by the fact that it is very
cluttered underneath the dash.

Have fun.

Dave
TR6Massey@aol.com