Re: Spitfire Top Mou

To: "Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles" <rvince00@counsel.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Top Mou
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 15:22:31 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles wrote:

> I can always count on you (and others) to clarify things --
> thanks!.   Well, interestingly someone else pointed out that
> perhaps the top that was supplied with the car is NOT a Mk I frame
> set and in fact goes to a Mk III or later model.

Sorry, I meant to mention that; I also meant to mention that the
"proper" top AND frame for your car are not permanently fastened to each
other or to your car.

> mounting to the windscreen frame, there are two holes in the top
> of the frame (is that what you meant by "hooks"?) where it appears
> one would insert the prongs or clamps on the top frame itself.

Those holes you have are probably for the hardtop mount. The hooks I
referred to are on the "doorglass" face of the windshield pillar, near
the top, and take a fastener on the top itself. This fastener is on
elastic IMS and helps to keep the top cloth a bit closer to the
doorglass, etc.

> If all else fails and I cannot find an early Spit. top I suppose I
> could weld a couple of prongs to the rear mounting flanges of the
> top I have and try to make it work.  Oh God, would that be ugly or
> what?  Probably as watertight as a collander, too.

Don't do it, Ross! One nice thing about the original arrangement is that
no evidence of the top or frame is evident when the top is down (off).
The top folds up and is stowed behind the rear panel (that looks like it
just covers the gas tank but has 2 Dzus fasteners to make it easily
removable for this purpose), and the frame stows in the trunk, around
the gas tank, held by a nice little leather strap. The resulting topless
car has just that much cleaner a look than do the later Spitfires with a
folded top covered by a boot.

The disadvantage, of course, is that the top is not erected all that
quickly when needs dictate. (Practice, practice, practice....) But
emergency protection is why you have the tonneau cover, right? :-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *